The Joint Commission International (JCI) standards, also known as the gold standard in the health world, were introduced to you in this article. At the same time, we have compiled a list of JCI-Accredited health institutions in Turkey.
What is Joint Commission International (JCI)?
In the health sector, as in any other sector, several reference institutions help to standardize and reliably monitor service quality. The first accreditation institution in the world of health was established in America in 1951.
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAH) was founded by the American College of Surgeons, American College of Physicians, American Medical Association, Canadian Medical Association, and American Hospital Association. The institution continued to grow and renew itself in the years in response to the sector’s needs.
By 1987, the commission name, which signed accreditation programs within health organizations, was changed to the “Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations” (JCAHO).
The Joint Commission International (JCI) is a non-profit organization that operates under the auspices of JCAHO. The commission is one of the most dependable organisations in the health sector, having been founded to provide international accreditation and increase the quality of health services.
What Does JCI Accreditation Mean?
JCAHO’s JCI unit has been assisting healthcare institutions all over the world with accreditation procedures since 1999. The institution contributes to the development of health services and ensures patient care reliability by granting accreditations in the field of health to more than 80 countries.
The institution’s top priority is patient safety and satisfaction, and its expert staff continues to work on accreditation processes. JCI accreditation, which guarantees that the patient receives the best treatment with the safest and highest level of service quality possible, has been developed by healthcare professionals worldwide, and accreditation decisions are made by an international committee of healthcare professionals.
Why did the need for JCI Accreditation arise?
The so-called “ends of the earth” have become accessible with a plane ticket as the world order has become more globalized. Thanks to the developing communication and transportation technologies, human beings have become more mobile creatures.
The rapidly expanding global population is eager to explore new countries and is bolder than previous generations. This led to the need for many standards to be established in the world.
There is always an example given: “You know you’re going to eat the same Big Mac wherever you go in the world.” For this reason, with the health services provided around the world bringing international patient tourism along with it, certain standards have started to be needed in the health world.
Increased competition in the health-care industry has intensified interest in these requirements. International patients are now considering the facilities of hospitals as well as their accreditation status while determining which health care service to receive in the country they have chosen.
Turkey and JCI Accreditation
For many years, Turkey has been known for its high-quality health-care services. The biggest proof of this situation is the number of hospitals in the country that have received JCI accreditation. JCI accreditation is held by 46 health institutions in Turkey, with 29 of them based in Istanbul. Turkey is also one of the top three countries in the world in terms of JCI accreditation.
Turkey stands out with its high accreditation figures thanks to a protocol signed between JCI and the Ministry of Health for technical support and cooperation in the development of the National Health Accreditation system.
Some of the health institutions in Turkey with JCI accreditation are listed below:
- Acibadem Adana Hospital
- Acıbadem Maslak Hospital
- Acibadem Mehmet Ali Aydinlar University Atakent Hospital
- Amerikan Hospital
- Anadolu Health Center
- Anit Atasehir Hospital
- Ankara Guven Hospital
- Bahcelievler Hospital – Medical Park Sağlık Grubu
- Bayindir Hospital
- Cukurova University Faculty of Medicine, Central Laboratory
- Dunya Goz Hospital
- Gayrettepe Florence Nightingale Hospital
- Ggztepe Hospital – Medical Park Health Group
- Hacettepe University Hospitals
- Hisar Hospital
- Istanbul Aydin University Faculty of Dentistry Florya Branch
- Istanbul Florence Nightingale Hospital Inc.
- Istanbul Mehmet Akif Ersoy Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Training and Research Hospital
- Istanbul Yeni Yuzyıl University Gaziosmanpasa Hospital
- Kadıkoy Florence Nightingale Hospital
- Kent Hospital
- Kolan International Hospital Sisli
- Medical Park Izmir Hospital
- Medicana International Istanbul Hospital
- Medipol Mega Hospitals Complex
- Medistate Kavacik Hospital
- Memorial Ankara Hospital
- Memorial Antalya Hospital
- Memorial Sisli Hospital
- Neolife Medical Center
- Npistanbul Brain Hospital
- Private Doruk Yildirim Hospital
- Private Medicabil Hospital
- Private Medline Adana Hospital
- Private Pendik Regional Hospital
- Private Tinaztepe Hospital
- Sonomed Medical Imaging and Health Services
- Sisli Florence Nightingale Hospital
- Turkish Red Crescent Society – Aegean Region Blood Center
- Turkish Red Crescent Society North Marmara Regional Blood Center
- Turkish Red Crescent Society Central Anatolia Region Blood Center
- Yeditepe University Dental Health and Research Center
- Yeditepe University Hospital